Happy NATIONAL STRAWBERRY DAY!
Celebrate at the Florida Strawberry Festival!
Who knew there was such a thing as National Strawberry Day?
As much as I love strawberries I wasn’t aware they had their own day. Well it’s true, today, February 27th, is National Strawberry Day! It’s a day created to celebrate those little red fruits bursting with sweet perfection! These juicy, sweet berries just happen to be one of the most popular fruits in the world and they deserve to be recognized.
Here are a few fun facts about strawberries …
- There are approximately 8,000 acres of strawberry fields in Florida
- California produces 80% of the strawberries in the United States.
- Florida is second in production. The Florida season runs from December to May and peaks during March and April. To meet the demand, winter strawberries are usually imported between November and May.
- Strawberries are the only fruit with seeds on the outside—about 200 of them. A berry has its seeds on the inside.
- Since the seeds are on the outside, strawberries aren’t true berries, like blueberries or grapes.
- Strawberries are a member of the rose family.
- Ninety-four percent of United States households consume strawberries.
- Strawberries at room temperature are sweeter than cold strawberries.
- Strawberries are low fat, low calorie; high in vitamin C, fiber, folic acid, potassium.
- Strawberries contain more vitamin C than oranges.
- Strawberries contain no cholesterol.
- Strawberries are the first fruit to ripen in the spring and must be picked at full ripeness; they cannot ripen once picked.
Celebrate National Strawberry Day with a fresh bowl of strawberries and cream, a strawberry smoothie, toast smothered in strawberry jam, or a scoop of strawberry ice cream. Yum!
Attending the Florida Strawberry Festival is another way you can celebrate the delicious, bright red strawberry, where it is the main attraction. This 11-day community event celebrates the strawberry harvest of Eastern Hillsborough County. Fill up on strawberries and strawberry themed foods during your visit to the festival. You can enjoy strawberries—straight from the patch, Creamy Strawberry Whip, Strawberry Shortcake, Strawberry Pizza, Strawberry Cobbler, Strawberry Lasagna, Strawberry Milkshakes, Chocolate Dipped Strawberries and much more.
There is expected to be more than 500,000 visitors attending the 48th annual festival which is held at the Plant City (Strawberry Festival) Fairgrounds.
The Florida Strawberry Festival runs for 11 days from February 28 to March 10. Gates open daily at 10:00 am, and close at 10:00 pm.
Admission is $10 for ages 13 and up. Children ages 6 to 12 get in for $5 and children under 5 are free with paid adult admission.
Discount Admission Tickets are available from February 1 to March 11 at participating Publix Super Market locations.
Enjoy the festival’s headline entertainment, youth livestock shows, midway rides, exhibits of commerce and more!
For the latest up to date news, things to do, special offers, travel tips and more continue to follow our blog @ Anna Maria Island Condo Rentals/Blog
Note: Anna Maria Island Condo Rentals offers the above company names and affiliated links as suggestions only. We are not receiving commissions from any of the above and are listing them only to assist our guests. We recommend services that we or close friends and family have experienced.
The content of this blog is not to be copied, adapted or shared without the written consent of Anna Maria Island Condo Rentals.