Historic Bridge Street on Anna Maria Island
Up until 1921, the only way to access Anna Maria Island was by boat. That is the year that the island was connected to the mainland by a wooden bridge extending from the village of Cortez to what was then called Cortez Beach making it the center of the island community. In the late 20’s, Cortez Beach became known as Bradenton Beach. (Which is where our condo is located!)
While the side of the bridge in Cortez village was removed, the Bradenton Beach side of the old wooden bridge was saved and converted into a fishing pier at the eastern end of Bridge Street. This fishing pier still stands today and is the site of a restaurant and gathering place for locals, tourists and little ones trying to catch the big one.” (Source)
“In recent years, the area has been completely revitalized! The Merchant’s Association, along with the renovation of the fishing pier has breathed new life into the area. Historic Bridge Street is once again the bustling center of activity in this historic beach community”.(Source)
And better yet its within walking distance to our condos!
What’s now known as the Historic Old Town District is great for day trips when you need a break from the beach or the kids want something else to do! “Bridge Street offers a walkable community with spectacular water views from the both the pier and the gulf beach.” (Source)